As many of you know, Chef Cindy is the inspiration and creator of our pot pies, flat breads, marinades, rubs, etc. Every second month, Cindy will offer suggested uses for many of the products we sell, cooking tips, and recipes.
Here is the latest:
Lemon Quark Cheesecake
1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1⁄3 cup butter, melted
1⁄3 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Mix all ingredients together and press evenly across bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes; cool and fill.
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (500 ml) Foxhill quark
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Equipment: a 9-inch springform pan
Beat together cream cheese, quark and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add eggs 1 at a time, mixing until incorporated. Mix in zest and vanilla.
Put springform pan in a shallow baking pan and pour filling into cooled crust. Bake until filling is set 1 1/2 inches from edge but center is wobbly, 45 to 50 minutes (filling will continue to set as it cools). Transfer cake in pan to a rack and immediately run a knife around edge, then remove side of pan. Cool completely, 2 to 3 hours.
Cheesecake can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, loosely covered.
D'Aubin Pulled Pork
What's the secret to perfect pulled pork? Start with fresh local pork shoulder of course! To that add a spice blend to achieve a balance of sweet & spicy. And we've got the blend for you. We carry house-made barbeque sauce and spice rubs that, when paired, give you a foolproof, mouth-watering pulled pork.
Here's what you do:
- Apply rub (DFM pulled pork rub, to be exact) to your pork shoulder (ask Ralph to cut you a piece that suits your needs)
- Place pork in slow cooker (or oven roaster, we're busy and prefer the slow cooker) on low heat for the day
- When pork tears apart easily with 2 forks then it's cooked the way you want it
- Drain off the juices, shred with forks, and add DFM barbeque sauce (250ml does about 4lb roast)
- Heat a little longer (15 min or so) and serve on your favourite bread/bun.
Questions? Drop us a line or have a chat when you come in.